8 Reasons You Should Never Give Up Your Own Blog for Google+

Get ral mobile phone number list
Jannat12

8 Reasons You Should Never Give Up Your Own Blog for Google+

Post by Jannat12 »

There’s one constant in the world of digital content publishing — there will always be new and exciting tools to explore, and new ways to use them. Take the case of poor Mike Elgan. He’s getting picked on for being the poster child for Google+ blogging. Alas, that is the risk you take when you’re a tall poppy. Now, I’ll admit that he makes some fairly interesting arguments for using Google+ like a blog. For example … A simple platform stripped down to the basics makes writing easy.

The community is fantastic. User accounts are verifiable, thus comments are less likePhone Number List to be anonymous. It’s easy to block trolls. Google+ posts are public on the open Internet. You can segment messages to specific audiences via Circles. You can raise your level of engagement through Hangouts. Follower growth happens fast. Mike calls Google+ the “best blogging platform available today, in my opinion — at least for the majority of bloggers.” A peculiar line of his argument runs as follows: Do you want to swim in a backyard swimming pool where you’re in control of every variable? Or do you want to swim in the ocean? That’s the choice you make as a blogger. Mike is so gung-ho about Google+ he’s thrown down the gauntlet: blog on Google+ exclusively for 30 days and see if you don’t fall in love. Not a bad idea. In fact, I’ve taken him up on his challenge. Only thing is … I already like Google+, but when those 30 days are over there is no way in the world I’d quit my blog for Google+ — and you shouldn’t either. Here’s why. 1. You become a digital sharecropper Nicholas Carr boiled Web 2.0 down to this: putting the content production tools into the hands of the many with a concentration of the economic rewards into the hands of the few.

That, my friends, is, to use Carr’s term, digital sharecropping. Instagram. Facebook. Twitter. Medium. LinkedIn. Tumblr. Google+. All of them — electronic plantations. Their users, the sharecroppers. It’s an attractive proposition. The social sites build the tools of production and give them away for free. You, the user, provide the content, do all the work while the company reaps the benefits. Granted, users are generally happy to work for free — they love the chance to express themselves and socialize. It’s what Clay Shirky calls cognitive surplus: the things we do with our free time. Each individual contribution is trivial.